Tales from the Birth Archives

by Rumour Miller on April 7, 2006

Pin It

Back in my post announcing Piper’s arrival, I mentioned that I would post about the delivery (specifically the c-section). Well here it goes.

After 16 hours of labour hearing the word c-section from my doctor really upset me. I really thought that the labour was progressing and that we would have a vaginal birth. Not to mention having surgery on anything makes me wanna cry.

Anyway, it took the nurses a while to get me ready for the surgery (an hour) and the entire time I was shaking like crazy from nerves. I had an epidural at around 3:00 p.m. and was told that I would be getting a spinal. Again, not looking forward to anything with needles.

So I am down in the operating room and Craig is waiting outside for the nurses to call him in. The spinal is done and IV is in place and in comes Craig. I was so nervous that I had my eyes closed. Then the procedure starts… AND I FELT EVERY SINGLE THING FROM THE FIRST CUT TO WHEN THEY FINALLY GOT PIPER THE HECK OUTTA ME! I am not even joking here. I didn’t cry but I did protest and kept asking the Doctor for a break, a breather to recoup from the effing pain. But apparently, once they start they need to get in and get out. Needless to say my eyes stayed closed.

I was squeezing Craig’s hand so tight it took days for the feeling to return. Once Piper was born I was injected with some other pain killer that literally shot me to the moon. Then and only then was I able to relax and according to my Doctor I became quite the comedian.

Craig left with Piper while they finished up the staples and I was none the wiser. Had no idea he had even left my side. At one point I heard (who I thought was Craig) say EWWWW and I yelled at him not to look down there! The staff got a kick out of it because no one else heard anyone say EWWWWW. *sigh*

When they say that you immediately forget the pains of childbirth, it really is true and it goes for the pain of this c-section as well. The thing about it all that bothers me the most is that I didn’t even open my eyes to see Piper nor did I get to enjoy hearing her first cry. I did hear it but I was so looped up on drugs that I didn’t get to take it all in. After being in recovery for a couple of hours I was wheeled back up to the maternity floor and right into the NICU to meet my Piper. She was in her incubator so I did not get to hold her.

Craig and I were both so exhausted and tried to sleep. Craig, of course, was able to fall asleep on the reclining chair in my room. I, on the other hand, had a terrible time sleeping. I finally woke him up at 4:00 a.m. because I had such strong desire to talk about our big day. Everything seemed so surreal and I felt as though I was going to wake up from the dream at any moment. Craig went to the NICU to see how Piper was doing and managed to talk a nurse into bringing her to my room so that I could hold her.

At 5:00 a.m. I finally held Piper – and it was beautiful.

Follow Me on Pinterest


soralis April 7, 2006 at 10:52 pm

I am so sorry you had such a tough c-section. That sucks that you didn’t see Piper or hear her first cry. You will have many other magical moments with her that will make up for that.

I only saw one of my twins in the OR and I didn’t get to see him until the next day due to complications I had after my section. I was lucky enough to hear their cries though.

Take care and enjoy

Ashley April 10, 2006 at 9:27 pm

They had mentioned to me, when they thought they might have to take Draevyn c-section, that sometimes the epidural/spinals don’t work at all, or only half-take. I’m sorry you had to experience that!
I don’t agree about the pain, I still remember it to this day, and still swear I’ll never do it again. Imagine what a wuss i’d be if i had a full-term baby???
I understand your pain about not getting to hear or hold her right away. Draevyn wasn’t breathing when he was born, so he didn’t even make noise to hear. And holding was just not even an option because he was so small. I will forever be heartbroken over it. I didn’t get to hold him for nearly a week after he was born, and I will forever wonder if that had an effect on our bonding, as they say that babies bond with their mothers in the first 3 minutes.

She’s beautiful, though, and I’m glad you are able to be home with her. Congrats, again!

Rumour Miller April 18, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Just to clarify. I DID hear her, I just did not get to enjoy it because of the pain.

Previous post:

Next post: