The One with all the contractions

by Rumour Miller on February 18, 2010

Pin It

Wouldn’t you know that I had nothing better to do on Tuesday night, that I decided to kick back at Obstetrical Triage. It’s true. I had been having quite the back ache and in fact Sunday night, I was practically crying. Craig was rubbing my back and then sleeping and I laid there most of the night wishing I could just fall asleep and escape the pain.

Monday wasn’t much better. I was achy and sore and crampy…. and boy was I bitchy (sorry Craig). I just felt off.

Tuesday I went to work and it was okay. I didn’t feel great but I wasn’t feeling as bad as I had been, so I counted that as a blessing. Immediately following supper that evening, I was standing by the couch and I didn’t even realize it when I was suddenly bent over the back of the couch because of the discomfort. I promptly declared to Craig that I had to go lie down. I even had some slight spotting when I went to the bathroom (very slight but it was there). Once I felt settled, I was able to help Craig get the girls off to bed and then I immediately went to mine. The backache was back. I laid there for a few hours watching FRIENDS and then I realized that I was having contractions. Frackin contractions. Then I realized that I had been having contractions all along!

They were not intense, consistent, close together, I can’t talk through them kind of contractions but all I could think was how I was only 31 weeks. Are you sensing a pattern here… because I sure was. So, Craig came to rub my back and we talked about what we should do. I mean, I knew the baby wasn’t going to arrive that night or even this week but I am only 31 weeks!

So I called Obstetrical Triage at the hospital where I will be delivering and they told me, “No rush, but you should come in so we can check you.” Then I got nervous and anxious and I started to pace. We talked about what we would do. Would we go with our back up plan and call our friend, Heather? Would I go alone to triage and keep Craig up to date on what was happening. It was all a bit overwhelming, so I started to fix my hair and then I was on auto pilot. I got dressed. Kissed Craig goodbye and told him that I would send him a text so the phone doesn’t wake the girls.

I arrived at the hospital around 11:30 p.m. and I was there until 3:00 a.m. I am (or was) 1 cm dilated. Having irregular, not intense contractions and lots and lots of back pain.

“I am only 31 weeks. I have a history of early births. My first baby arrived at 36 weeks and my second baby arrived at 34 weeks. I am now 31 weeks.”

I just kept saying that over and over again. To anyone, everyone that I could. They weren’t concerned. Not even a teeny tiny bit. At least they did not appear to be concerned and at 3:00 a.m. they sent me home telling me that I wasn’t really in labour but if things change come back.

Deja Vu, because this was exactly what happened when I went into labour with Davilyn. I started feeling this way and having these same symptoms on Monday May 26, 2008 and she was born 6 days later on June 1, 2008.

I really do not want to have this baby any earlier than 34 weeks and I had really been hoping for a delivery closer to 36 weeks. At this rate, it’s looking like I could have a 32 or a 33 weeker and I am just a teeny tiny bit scared about that.

Follow Me on Pinterest


Piccinigirl February 19, 2010 at 9:25 am

oh sweetie, reading this I was getting a knot in my stomach for you. Not because I don't think that if Diva #3 arrives now she won't be perfect and just some NICU time…not because I believe there is anything wrong. Just because I know how much you wanted to really have her closer to week 36 and that if you don't, you're going to scared and anxious and feel all sorts of things that I don't want you to feel my friend.

I will keep you in my prayers that she hangs on until 34 weeks at least. I feel so bad for the pain you're in and how helpless you feel. My heart just aches for you.

but I am keeping HOPE alive here for you. Sending lots of LOVE to you.

sky girl February 19, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Oh shit. Keep us posted!! I'll be crossing fingers that nothing happens in the next couple of weeks.

Previous post:

Next post: