The one with the update

by Rumour Miller on February 25, 2010

Pin It

Our 32 week milestone! We have made it this far and I’m not sure if I thought we would. Especially after having contractions on and off for over a week. I do know that as I reach the end of this pregnancy, I am really starting to accept the fact that we are three and done. I just cannot put my body and my mind through this again. What started out to be my easiest and least stressful pregnancy has turned into my most stressful and difficult pregnancy.

I have had more doctors appointments than I care to think about. I know that they have been worth every minute since this is what is the best for our baby and that is all that really matters. That we have a healthy, strong baby!

I saw my Endocrinologist on Tuesday (who I have been seeing since before I conceived and every few weeks since I was about 5 weeks pregnant) to review my latest blood sugar monitoring.

For the most part, my blood sugars have been really well controlled throughout this pregnancy (a feat that I celebrate!) but every now and again they get high and I have to adjust my insulin. Since the 15th of February, I have had three unexpected lows. Where my blood sugar level drops so low that I feel light headed, dizzy, not well and need an immediate sugar boost. Two of which happened in the middle of the night.

The concern about this is that they are unexpected and could indicate that my placenta is no longer doing it’s job to it’s full potential. Now, I don’t know much about this, but I do know that is not a good thing. I was instructed to back off of my insulin (in case this was causing my unexpected lows) and continue to watch closely. I was further told that if I have another low, to go straight to Obstetrical Triage.

I was so not expecting this! I really had no idea how to process this information so I just nodded and agreed with my Dr. I will do whatever you tell me to do!

It wasn’t until after I talked to Craig and my mother that I felt really unsettled about my appointment. Not that they struck the fear into me, but they asked questions that I didn’t have answers to and that spawned more questions for me… so I called my OBs office and left a message for the on call Doctor (since my Doctor was away). I did get a call back, but it did not alleviate my concerns nor did it really answer my questions. She did confirm, however, that if I have another low to go straight to Obstetrical Triage.

I see my OB today and since she appears to be of the “let’s wait and see approach”, I am expecting this will be what her opinion is today as well. At least this is what I think I am expecting…. I don’t really know anymore.

Follow Me on Pinterest

{ 1 comment }

Rachel M. February 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm

These days one needs a minor in medicine to understand all the issues brought through a "tough" pregnancy. Still rooting for you to hold out a little longer!

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: